Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Altered Canvas

Two years ago, I altered a canvas for a family friend's 60th birthday. You can see it here. This week his wife turns 60, so I've done one for her too. I've been told that his sits in their living room for all to see, so I'm hoping that by using the colours I have this time, that they will sit alongside each other nicely. Must admit that I couldn't do it the colours I was going to, but I'm quite pleased with the result. And why couldn't I do it in the colours I'd first imagined? Because my friend Helen crochets (see her amazing website here where you can buy patterns and some are FREE) and in April I'd got an E and some flowers and a butterfly from here forgetting; until today, that the E was terracotta. The other flower is a PRIMA one, the lace was part of a crop kit and the tassel was from a local market. I used acrylic paint for the background, mixing browns and white for the background and white on bubble wrap to add texture and depth. Last of all, I added some tiny ANITA'S gems to the centres of some of the bubbles.

Anyway, enough rambling, here's the canvas and a couple of close-ups. I just hope she likes it.
I had to use some crocheting on it as I have a vivid memory of her sitting crocheting when I went there one day as a soon-to-be 12 year old. Turned out she was crocheting a shawl for Mum and Dad to give me as a present and didn't want to rouse suspicion by putting it away, so just carried on regardless. And I was none the wiser, but so pleased with it and wore it when I was taken to a restaurant for the first time on my birthday.




Love, Sarah C xx

2 comments:

Pam said...

your friend will love that canvas!!
must try 'Oh Life' too

Enfys said...

Looks great Sarah. Thanks for the link.

PREVIOUS DESIGN TEAM MEMBER FOR: