Saturday, 11 September 2010

Acetate Rub-On Tutorial

It's been suggested to me by the creator and owner of Pictureit blog Kev, that I do a tutorial for making acetate rub-ons. It's something that I did ages ago, then forgot about. Recently though, Ifa used it as part of her class on The Studio Challenges cybercrop and this was my result. I've used the technique a couple of times since then and know I'll do more in the future. Here's a LO and a card.

So, how do you make these? Here's my tutorial, (please let me know if you don't understand something and I'll revise it):

To make your rub-ons, you need a sheet of acetate (doesn't have to be printable acetate as you're going to be printing on the shiny side, it just needs to be able to go through your printer), a printer and a computer programme that you can design in (I used WordArt in Microsoft Word for mine, but I'm sure you have your favourite programme).

1) In your chosen programme, type your word(s) and position them until you are happy (these will need to be flipped before printing). Don't forget that you can change the colours and fonts of these too.
2) Flip your wording so that it reads backwards. If you use WordArt, you may need to re-position the words so that they are where you want them. Alternatively, you could use the 'mirror image' option on your printer settings.
3) Print onto the shiny side of your acetate using best photo printing remembering that the printing will stay wet so handle with care when removing it.
4) Turn your acetate over and press down gently on your chosen paper/card. Be careful not to let the acetate move as this will smudge your printing.
5) Remove the acetate and admire your work.

This is a great way of being able to personalise your cards/scrapbook LOs without worrying about running out of certain letters. You could also rub your work onto card and stick these labels to jars etc. Have fun and if you try this, please come back and leave me a comment linking to your work. I'd love to see your creations.

Love, Sarah C xx

4 comments:

Picturit said...

Thanks for the tutorial Sarah most interesting will research this further may come in useful. Cheers Kev

Sian said...

Thanks Sarah for the tutorial. I have read about this before, but me being me, forgot how to do it and lost the site!!!, so thanks again for sharing.
hugs

Sarah C said...

You're both very welcome x

Hazel said...

What a great idea. I've never heard of this so thanks
Hazel

PREVIOUS DESIGN TEAM MEMBER FOR: